Welcome to the Nillumbik Historical Society

Ellis Cottage, Memory Lane, Diamond Creek. Home of the Nillumbik Historical Society

 

Our home is Historic Ellis Cottage that sits on the Ellis Cottage Reserve, Diamond Creek, Victoria.

Our aim is to preserve and share the history of Diamond Creek District.  We have a large archive of photographs, artefacts and historical documents relating to people who have lived in the area and places in the district where they lived, farmed and mined, with particular focus on the wider area around Diamond Creek.  The Nillumbik Historical Society was formed in 1973 with the inaugural meeting held at Lovitt Cottage, now known as Ellis Cottage.

We are open to the public on the first Sunday of each month or by appointment, so please don’t hesitate to contact us if you are looking for information.

For further information about the Society and Ellis Cottage please use the Contact Us form.

Find us at:

10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek.  The best access and ample parking is off Main Hurstbridge Road, just look for the power lines crossing the road.

Write to:

The Secretary, Nillumbik Historical Society Inc

Mail:  10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek, Victoria, 3089, Australia.

You can also find us on Facebook

We are committed to ongoing projects that share our local history with the community.  We welcome visits and offer tours to clubs, schools and groups, by arrangement.

We offer Devonshire Tea or Luncheons for groups (minimum of 10 people) with a talk and tour, booked in advance.  Call 03 9438 5619 or Contact Us

Our Work and Achievements

Since the Ellis Cottage site was handed to the Nillumbik Historical Society a number of additions have been made.  The historic Lock-up from the site of the Collins Street Police Station was donated and moved to the cottage precinct and is a good example of its type.  We use it as a standalone display.

The Nillumbik Historical Society has added a barn to the precinct to maintain and display items from our district.  We also use it for meetings and other gatherings.  It was made possible by volunteers and a great deal of fundraising work over 15 years.

The barn also houses an archival facility which allows the Society to efficiently meet growing demand for information about the area.  The barn and archives area, along with the cottage, hold many of our historical documents, photographs, and artifacts.

Our latest addition to the historical precinct is the Lone Pine Memorial, completed in October 2017 after six months of dedicated work by VCAL students from Diamond Valley College, and Diamond Creek Men’s Shed, and with the support of the Montmorency-Eltham RSL and Banyule Nillumbik Local Learning and Employment Network.

We take every opportunity to share information, photographs, and objects we have gathered, and received as donations, over more than 40 years with the community.  New projects include storing images of our artifacts so we can put them online, enabling those with links to the area to view our collection no matter where in the world they are located.

We are also undertaking a project to transcribe many of the letters we have, particularly those from local families during WW1.

The Nillumbik Historical Society has added a barn to the precinct to maintain and display archives and photographs and artefacts from our local history

The peaceful Lone Pine Memorial Garden was opened in late 2017 after six months of hard work from local school and community groups

The Lone Pine. In the background can be seen the plaques commemorating the Servicemen of Diamond Creek District 1914 – 1918

Welcome to the Nillumbik Historical Society