Diamond Creek articles

Herbert Family Property and the Diamond Creek Racing Club

HERBERT FAMILY With the continuing development along Collard Drive and down the hills to Herbert’s Lane and the creek flats, it is timely to share some information about the original property that goes back to the pioneering days of Diamond Creek. The new estates around Collard Drive are being built on what was 100 acres […]

Diamond Creek’s Historic and Significant Trees

Diamond Creek has a number of significant trees; some officially recorded for their historic value and others not. We have details for some not recognised and hope this article provides inspiration for anyone who may know of trees not mentioned and who can provide us with a local tree’s detailed links to our pioneers, local […]

Early Days of the Diamond Creek Op Shop Charlie Milthorpe’s Store

Mr Charles Milthorpe and his family are the first known occupants of the building that now houses the Opportunity Shop on the corner of Brooks Crescent. Charles was an orchardist with a property in Broad Gully Road who won prizes for his fruit at the Diamond Creek Horticultural Show. After his marriage to Ellen Stone […]

Nillumbik Custodian Our Newsletter

We publish our newsletter the Nillumbik Custodian each quarter for our members. Issues from 2021 and earlier are publicly available to view and read on Trove / National Library https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1552649449 Please feel free to browse through and read whatever you find interesting or become a member to receive each issue as soon as it’s published.

Pioneer Families of Diamond Creek District WILSON

John Wilson and his wife Martha Burgess arrived in Port Phillip as bounty immigrants on the 18th February 1844 with their seven children ranging in age from 1 to 17. They left their home in Langley, Essex looking for better opportunities as so many others at the time did. Bounty immigrants were expected to begin […]

Nillumbik Rifle Club

In April 1885, residents from Diamond Creek District met at the Literary Institute to discuss the establishment of a District Rifle Company. Mr. E.M. Bill, schoolmaster of Nillumbik State School, chaired the meeting and read a letter from the Minister of Defence, that urged residents not to be behind other districts in showing their willingness […]

The Diamond Valley Story For Sale

Original 1974 publication of The Diamond Valley Story by Dianne H. Edwards All copies are in brand new condition having been stored by our society since they were given to us by the author for our contribution of photographs and information   Contact Us to arrange your purchase   Collect from Ellis Cottage or arrange […]

Suffragettes of Diamond Creek and the Monster Petition

The 1891 Women’s Suffrage Petition   A momentous event for the women of Victoria took place in 1891 and 21 ladies form Diamond Creek contributed to it. Throughout 1891 a small but dedicated group of women took to the streets of Melbourne and across Victoria, travelling by train and foot, to collect signatures for the […]

Pioneer Families of Diamond Creek District STARLING & STEWART

George Durrant Starling and his wife Clementina left Norfolk, England and arrived in Melbourne in 1859 to start a new life, first living at Janefield, now Bundoora, where they ran a farm. They were joined ten years later by their grandsons George Davey Starling jnr. and Adrian Starling, then in 1886 their son George Davey […]

Diamond Creek Gold Mine Fire 1915 Its Impact on the Community

In 1861 there was gold mining of all kinds in places across the district. It was only a matter of time before gold was found in Diamond Creek as well. The discovery of gold in Diamond Creek in 1862, by Joseph and David Wilson, on land bordering Dr. Phipps’ and Charles Orme’s properties, was the […]

Diamond Creek District’s First Schools

In the early 1860’s, an increasing number of families were taking up and improving properties across Diamond Creek district. There was an even greater increase following the discovery of gold in Diamond Creek in 1862. Very quickly our first mine, the Diamond Creek Gold Mine, was established attracting a large number of miners and their […]

Joseph Stevenson and his Bullock Named Diamond

There has long been speculation about the naming of Diamond Creek the creek, and Diamond Creek the place, with more than one story developed over the years. Which one is the more likely – Diamond the bullock’s drowning in the creek; clear water running over stones looking like diamonds; or the naming of the Diamond […]

New Horticultural Hall Opening – 1887

When the Diamond Creek Horticultural Society held its third annual exhibition on Thursday, 10th March 1887, there must have been a great deal of excitement that it was to be in the newly-erected Horticultural Hall. The hall was purpose built for horticultural displays and measured 50 feet by 26 feet. It was built on land […]

Machine Gun on St John’s Porch Roof

How Did it Get up here? Some of you may be aware of the location of Diamond Creek’s war memorial but some people may not be aware that this is actually the cenotaph’s third location. The cenotaph was originally erected in the middle of the intersections of Main Road, Collins Street and Hyde Street in […]

Diamond Creek’s Police Stations

How many times has Diamond Creek Police Station moved? The answer is four. Starting with the first permanent police presence in Diamond Creek in 1879 until the move to the newly built Emergency Services Centre on the corner of Main Hurstbridge Road and George Street in 2005, Diamond Creek’s police station has been in five […]

Pioneer Families of Diamond Creek District GODBER

The Godber family were early Diamond Creek settlers, first recorded in the district in the 1850’s. Two sons and a daughter of Job and Mary Godber were living in Diamond Creek and had married into local families during the late 1850’s and early 1860’s. Rosamond Godber married William Wilson, who had been in the district […]

Town Without a Name

An extract from Edward Bage, Diamond Creek: surveyor, adventurer and gentleman by Jock Ryan (Nillumbik Historical Society 2001) Victoria’s booming population led to houses and farms springing up haphazardly with little regard to the location of future townships or roads. One such community had developed twenty five kilometres north east of Melbourne where, in 1862, […]

The Strongest Man in the Foorce

For ten years, from 1886 to 1896, Diamond Creek and its surrounding district was protected by an esteemed and well respected member of the Victorian Police Force. Constable Thomas Waldron was sent to our district to help police and manage the camps between Research and Diamond Creek that housed the navvies constructing that section of […]

Ellis Cottage the ideal place for your next get-together or off-site meeting

For morning or afternoon tea at one of Nillumbik Shire’s oldest buildings, built by William Ellis in 1865.   You will have exclusive access to Ellis Cottage, our barn with historic displays and the gardens that surround the cottage.   Devonshire Tea & Talk with Tour – $18 per person served with freshly brewed tea […]

Ellis Cottage Open Day Sunday 7th April

Next Open Day is   on Sunday, 7th April Entry $3 covers both the cottage and the barn Children Free  

Diamond Creek’s Brass Band

November 1888-January 1889 – A Band is Formed   A public meeting was held on Monday, 8th November 1888 to take steps to start a brass band at Nillumbik. It was convened by Thomas Collins and reports of the meeting show the interest from the local community with twenty-six men agreeing to join the proposed […]

Cider Making in the Diamond Creek Valley

William Gray – Allwood Upper Diamond Creek   William Gray, who married Frances Hurst, added cider making to his business growing, selling and exporting fruit trees at “Allwood” Upper Diamond Creek after using the shared government plant of cider making equipment in 1905. William’s brother Owen produced cider at their parent’s property “Cleir Hills’ Back […]

Diamond Creek’s Hoodoo Level Crossing

This photo in the Nillumbik Historical Society collection of the level crossing at Diamond Creek was taken about 1920. It shows the road behind towards the ovals and bridges and it can clearly be seen that the road alignment is similar to today. The ‘dogleg’ in the road at the crossing has always been there […]

Looking down Chute Street in Diamond Creek around 1915

This historic photo is in the collection of the Nillumbik Historical Society.  Taken from paddocks below Collins Street some time around 1915, it shows how much the village of Diamond Creek has evolved. The original Royal Mail Hotel, licensed to William Inglis in 1867, was located on the corner of Inglis and Chute Streets.  It […]

The Pub with Three Names – Evelyn Arms – Halfway House – Tunnel Camp

The building that was on the road to Greensborough had three names during its sixty year history, each relating to a particular period of its operation and although it was outside the township boundary it was Diamond Creek’s first pub.  It was first licensed as the Evelyn Arms Hotel to Isaac Hawkins on 31st January, […]

Crossing a Flooded Creek When You Need to Get to Work

When Diamond Creek was cut in half by floodwaters in the early 1960’s, water would spread up the hill in Chute Street and those living on that side of town had no access to the railway station. So, what could you do if you needed to get to catch the train to work? Fortunately for […]