This historic photo is in the collection of the Nillumbik Historical Society. Taken from paddocks below Collins Street some time around 1915, it shows how much the village of Diamond Creek has evolved.
The original Royal Mail Hotel, licensed to William Inglis in 1867, was located on the corner of Inglis and Chute Streets. It is the brick building half way down the hill on the left with the verandah over the footpath. At the time of this photo it was owned by Minnie Ritchie. It burnt down in 1926. A new hotel also named the Royal Mail was built in 1937 in its present location near the railway line.
Beyond the hotel, on the other corner with Inglis Street behind the bare trees was a blacksmiths and carriage builder, was first owned by G. Godfrey and later taken over by Sam Jonas. The road turns at the bottom to cross the bridge over the Diamond Creek.
In the distance to the right of the bend in the road is a building that first housed the Diamond Reef Hotel. It later became a coffee palace. The community centre is on the site today. Further to the right is the Horticultural Hall which stood in a similar location to the bowling club now.
To the left with an orchard on the hill behind and next to the railway station is the Cool store built in 1913. The railway line, extended from Eltham to Hurstbridge in 1912, passes through and the dogleg in the road at the crossing is similar to the road alignment today. The main road continues on in front of the tree with Fyffe Street to the right. It is believed that similar road alignments were intentionally made near hotels so horse-drawn traffic would know where to slow down and stop when visibility was poor.